[cmaster-next] Slack - upgrade to standard edition?

Martin Winter mwinter at opensourcerouting.org
Thu Dec 15 07:21:32 EST 2016

On 15 Dec 2016, at 18:07, olivier.dugeon at orange.com wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>

> Le 15/12/2016 à 10:04, Martin Winter a écrit :
>> Donald,
>> (and everyone else working on it)
>>
>> Thanks for setting up Slack. We (NetDEF) can get a free upgrade to
>> the standard edition
>> as part of bing a 501c3 non-profit.
>>
>> See https://freerangerouting.slack.com/pricing for difference between
>> Free and Standard
>> model.
>>
>> Happy to do this if this community thinks Slack is useful. Please be
>> aware that it’s
>> free “only” up to 250 users - and 85% discount above it.
>>
>> We can only do this for one Slack - so we may want to wait until
>> everyone confirms
>> the new selected name (i.e. no legal issues)
> A simple google search on "Free Range Routing" gives some published
> articles
> e.g. IEEEXplore http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1673164/
> related to automated guided vehicles studies. I don't know if using
> the same name
> will make confusion or not (it is not the same scope, so not the same
> research area).
> From the legal issue, I ask my legal department in charge of the
> opensource contribution
> at Orange to check if there is a potential problem or not.

Thanks.

> I would not re-open the debate, but why just using Open Source Routing
> ? I think you could
> publish a code with the name of your entity or is there some legal
> issue that prohibit this ?

No legal issues. We (at NetDEF) stated that we would be willing to hand
the name over to
the fork if this is the outcome. From my personal view, I think it might
be confusing as
in the past many people know us as a organization to support Quagga and
now it suddenly
would become the name of the fork…
But more important, the results of the survey didn’t put it anywhere
into the top 5
choices.

- Martin